Waste and Recycling - Service Update
South Gloucestershire Council - 13th May 2020
In March we had to make changes to waste and recycling to help manage staff shortages from Coronavirus (COVID-19). As staff levels have stabilised, we have been able to reinstate some of these services. We are still short staffed and doing everything we can to keep services going, so please bear with us.
Garden waste collections restarted Monday 27 April and are running as normal. A five week extension has been added to all subscriptions affected by the service suspension.
Weekly recycling collections restart from Wednesday 13 May
- Please put your containers out on your normal collection day by 7:00am. Check garden waste subscriptions and collection days at www.southglos.gov.uk/collectionday
- Our crews may be working later than usual. If your collection has been missed, let us know the next working day at www.southglos.gov.uk/reportit or call 01454 868000
- Keep all waste and recycling contained to help the crews and to prevent litter.
- Please park considerately, leaving plenty of room for large vehicles.
Sort It recycling centres open from Saturday 16 May
IMPORTANT – Temporary restrictions will be in place to maintain social distancing and protect visitors and staff. The sites are likely to be very busy when they first open so only visit if you are really struggling to store waste at home to avoid queues.
- The sites will be open for essential use. Only visit if you cannot manage to store waste at home.
- The sites will have temporary longer opening hours from 6am to 6pm seven days a week until further notice.
- The sites will only be open for black bin waste and bulky items such as furniture, mattresses, garden furniture etc. No garden waste, DIY, plasterboard, soil, or other waste can be accepted at the moment.
- Check for updates before you visit at www.southglos.gov.uk/sortit
- Little Stoke and the reuse shop at Thornbury will remain closed until further notice.
Waste from households with symptoms of Covid-19 – Double bag personal waste (e.g. used tissues and disposable cleaning cloths) and tie the bags securely. Store them separately for at least 72 hours before putting them in your black bin. For further guidance visit www.gov.uk/coronavirus
Stay up to date with council services affected by Covid-19 at www.southglos.gov.uk/servicedisruption