Summer Reading Challenge Impact Report 2023
The Reading Agency - 27th October 2023
The Summer Reading Challenge is the UK’s biggest free reading promotion for primary school aged children. Available through public libraries, the Challenge provides FREE access to books and fun reading for pleasure activities for all abilities and helps to prevent the summer reading ‘dip’ during the long break from school.
- 6,350 children in South Gloucestershire took part in this year’s Challenge.
- 127, 834 children’s books were borrowed over the summer.
- 3,081 children attended free activities in the library.
The demand for children’s library services have increased significantly from pre-pandemic levels:
- the number of children taking part in the Challenge has increased by 26% compared to 2019.
- the number of children’s books borrowed has increased by 18% compared to 2019.
Download the Summer Reading Challenge Impact Report 2023 (PDF) for further information.